Ein Studierender steht auf einer Empore mit Glasgeländer und schaut auf die andere Seite des Raums
Ein Studierender steht auf einer Empore mit Glasgeländer und schaut auf die andere Seite des Raums

Admission & Requirements

General information

Requirements Bachelor

Admission to an undergraduate degree programme at our university requires one of the following qualifications:

  • General higher education entrance qualification (Abitur)
  • Subject-related higher education entrance qualification
  • Advanced technical college entrance qualification (Fachhochschulreife)
  • Vocational qualification (e.g. master craftsman, business administrator, vocational training and corresponding work experience as well as aptitude test)
  • Foreign educational certificates
  • Other equivalent qualification


Requirements Master

Admission to an advanced degree programme is only possible after a completed undergraduate degree (e.g. Bachelor's degree) with a standard period of study of at least 3 years.

Some degree programmes may have additional admission criteria (e.g. subject-specific or artistic entrance examinations or special language skills). Therefore, find out early on which criteria apply to your desired degree programme. These are based on the respective admission regulations.


see selection & admission regulations

Is that possible?

Studying without "Abitur"

Yes! If you have completed a recognised advanced vocational training, such as a “Meister” (master craftsman diploma), or are a graduate of an equivalent professional training programme, you are qualified to apply for a Bachelor’s degree programme. You can also get a university entrance qualification for a subject-specific Bachelor's degree programme if you have completed at least 2 years of vocational training and have 3 years of work experience. To do so, you must pass an eligibility test and attend a consultation interview at the university.

Studying without "Abitur"

  • Make an appointment for a counselling session with your desired degree programme; you will find the relevant information on this at the respective degree programme or faculty.
  • After the interview, you will receive a certificate which you should enclose with your application.
  • Apply online and by the deadline via our Campus-PoRTal.

Do you have to take an eligibility test?

  • The eligibility test is conducted by the University of Applied Sciences in Konstanz. In order to take the test, you must apply to be admitted to the test
  • The test takes place once a year in May at the University of Applied Sciences in Konstanz. The application deadline is 15 March of each year. Please check the website of the Studienkolleg Konstanz for further information.
  • The test is subject to a fee. A personal contribution of currently 200€ is due.

Studying with a foreign degree

What do I have to consider?

German nationality - foreign degree

If you are a German citizen and have obtained your "Abitur" in another country, and your place of residence is abroad and you wish to study in Baden-Wuerttemberg, your certificates can be recognised by the Regional Council in Stuttgart. If your place of residence is in another German federal state, your certificates can be recognised by the certificate recognition authority in your respective federal state. Applicants with other educational qualifications obtained abroad can use the anabin database to gain a first impression of whether their qualifications are approximately equivalent to qualifications awarded in the German educational system. Please note: long processing times are to be expected. 


What do I have to consider?

Foreign nationality - foreign degree

In order to be admitted to Reutlingen University, international applicants need a "Zeugnisanerkennung" (validation of qualifications) from the Studienkolleg Konstanz. Please note that the "Zeugnisanerkennung" must be submitted to us by the end of the application period.

validate qualifications

Special regulation for International Business (BSc)

  • Applicants for the Bachelor's degree programme International Business from non-EU/EEA member states must upload their documents for the recognition of certificates during the application process on the applicant portal of Reutlingen University. The university then forwards the documents to the Studienkolleg Konstanz for recognition.
  • Applicants for the Bachelor's degree programme International Business from EU/EEA member states must apply for the recognition of their certificates themselves at the Studienkolleg Konstanz and submit them to Reutlingen University by the deadline.

Who needs to provide this?

APS Certificate

Applicants from China, India and Vietnam must include an original certificate from the Academic Examinations Centre (Akademische Prüfstelle APS) with their application. Please refer to your national representation for further information on requirements, the application process and important deadlines:

Do I have to know German?

Required language skills

International applicants must have sufficient knowledge of German in order to be admitted to a degree programme. If the intended degree programme is taught exclusively in English, no proof of German is required. Please inform yourself in advance about the recognised language certificates and applicable exceptions.

Valid language certificates

International applicants can prove their German language skills with one of the following language certificates:

  • Test of German as a Foreign Language (TestDaF; 14 points or better).
  • German language test for university admission (DSH 2 or better)
  • German part of the Feststellungsprüfung (assessment test) at Studienkollegs (preparatory courses)
  • German Language Diploma of the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs Second Level (DSD II)
  • Goethe-Zertifikat C2: Great German Language Diploma (GDS)
  • Telc German C1 University
  • German Language Examination II of the Sprachen- & Dolmetscher-Institut Munich
  • School-leaving certificate from a German school abroad with predominantly German-language teaching or attendance at a school up to and including the 9th grade at which all subjects were taught in German.


Applicants do not have to submit separate language certificates if they fulfil one of the following criteria:

  • Completed German studies
  • Professional training in German
  • Prior study periods or training with substantial periods of study in the German language

In the case of a stay of at least 5 years in a German-speaking country or in other exceptional cases, applicants may apply for their German language skills to be tested by an equivalence test conducted by the Reutlingen International Office.

What do I have to consider?

Moving to Germany

Before you can begin your studies in Germany, please make sure you are aware of and meet any formal requirements. Do you need a student visa or a residence permit? What about (health) insurance? Are there any legal restrictions in case you want to take a student job whilst on a visa? If you have any questions about studying in Germany, please also contact the Reutlingen International Office.

Health insurance

International full-time students, i.e. students who are regularly enrolled at Reutlingen University and graduate here, must be covered by health insurance for the entire duration of their studies. There are social security agreements between Germany and the EU/EEA countries for this purpose. If you have statutory health insurance in your home country, you can have this insurance recognised by a statutory health insurance fund in Germany. For students from EU countries, this is usually the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

Visa & Residence Permit

  • Applicants from non-EU or EEA countries require a student visa. This must be applied for at the relevant foreign mission before entering Germany. Important information on the procedure can be found on the website of the Federal Foreign Office.
  • Applicants from non-EU or EEA countries and Switzerland also need a residence permit. The aliens' registration office at the respective place of residence in Germany is responsible for this.

Information for applicants with a refugee background

Reutlingen University is committed to inclusive, international coexistence and offers various support options for refugee students on campus.

The Central Student Advisory Service is the first point of contact for questions about studying at Reutlingen University. The ZSB team provides an overview of suitable study programmes, admission requirements, recognition of certificates and necessary language certificates. The ZSB can also help you if you are unable to provide any or only incomplete documents due to your flight situation. You will receive further information in a personal advice interview. To make an appointment, please contact the ZSB directly:



Veronika Donay
Building 3, R. 3-002
Tel. + 49 7121 271 1067

send eMail


Verena Hesche
Building 3, R. 3-002
Tel. +49 7121 271 1079

send email

Refugees who are able to study have the opportunity to attend German courses at the Institute for Foreign Languages (IfF) as a guest student, provided there are places available. Prerequisites for participation are an approved application as a guest student and regular course attendance. If you have any questions, please contact the head of the Department of German as a Foreign Language and Intercultural Communication.


Karin Bukenberger
Building 3, R. 3-216
Tel. +49 7121 271 1007

send eMail

We are happy to help!

Any questions?

The StudentServiceCenter supports you with organisational questions about your studies and is the first point of contact for all prospective students, applicants, students and alumni. Drop by, give us a call or simply send us an email.

get in touch


You might also like

Student Housing


Student Life

Chat Icon Chat Icon